How to play: Jean ‘Jehan’ Prouvaire from Les Miserables
Beneath the cut is my guide on how to play Jehan or at least, a character like Jehan, my lovely mascot, and most of it will apply to a modern!Jehan, though some of it will fit canon!Jehan too. Of course, this is just my opinion and how I would and do play him, and if you don’t agree with it, then that’s perfectly fine.
- Jehan is a canon character from the wonderful Brick (Les Miserables), one of the revolutionaries fighting for freedom in France. He is described as a “lover”. He “cherished a pot of flowers and God”. He is “widely read to the point of erudition”, “he knew Italian, Latin, Greek and Hebrew” and used them to read the works of “four poets”. “He loved to stroll through meadows of wild flowers”.
- “He talked gently, bowed his head, smiled self-consciously, blushed for no reason, was awkward and extremely shy - and for the rest, fearless.”
- From the above, you may think that Jehan is simply a poet that loves flowers and is a bit shy. Most likely, he’ll be played as such, and that’s fine, because he is, but Jehan is so much more than that. Jehan is not afraid to speak his mind and he does not back down when he’s told no, not unless there’s a good reason. He’s brave and he’s selfless and he loves everything, cares for everything, and Jehan is not there just so you can have a ‘feminine’ character to play and ship with the other males in the story.
It might seem pretty difficult to actually play Jehan, considering the book is so full of action that we don’t learn all that much about the characters. However, it’s easy to think that there is a person out there who might like flowers and poems but who might also be determined and assertive, right? So why don’t people play him that way?
- Shy - shy does not mean that he’s a wilting lily and will faint beneath someone’s derision.
- Selfless - to a point where he practically sacrifices himself at the barricades
- Many people have different ideas about Jehan. Some believe he has short hair, others that he has long hair tied back, some think he’s blonde and others think that he has red hair. There’s even some I’ve seen that believe it’s dipdyed blonde and pink!
- Personally, my headcanon for Jehan is a slim but tall young man, with an angular face, sharp, looks intelligent. He has delicate hands - everything about him looks deceptively delicate, after all -, with long fingers that are constantly ink stained. His hair is a light blonde, and he ties it back, braids it with flowers almost like Rapunzel in that Disney film, and shares hair care tips with the lovely Cosette.
- Jehan can’t dress himself. I can’t remember whether that’s fanon or canon anymore, but Jehan has a ridiculous fashion sense. We usually have him dressed in clothes that clash, floral prints, sometimes even women’s dresses and clothing because Jehan sees your stereotypical gender roles and says fuck you.
- As you’ve probably guessed, my faceclaim for him is Jamie Campbell Bower, because I think that he fits the best.
- Because we really don’t have much to go on, of course, this is just all headcanons so you can have him look however you want, his appearance isn’t the most important thing.
Right now, I can’t think of anything I want to add, but, if I do, then this will be updated!